7 Things You Can Do If Your
Husband Is Viewing Pornography
If you find your husband viewing pornography you may feel any combination of feeling hurt, shame, betrayal, rejection, jealous, angry or humiliation.
Sister, the first thing I want to tell you is you are not alone. Pornography is a serious problem affecting over half of marriages today. With easy access to the internet and mobile phones, pornography can now be viewed with a few simple key strokes.
I also want to tell you is that there is hope. Nothing is impossible for our God. If God can speak a word and create a universe, don’t you think that He can redeem and restore your marriage?
“If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” – 1 John 1:9 ESV
How do I know this to be true? My husband struggled with pornography early in our marriage and God delivered him from it. I forgave him and God restored my trust. Our marriage is better today than it was twenty years ago.
Here are seven things you can do if your husband is viewing pornography:
- Pray. Ask for the Holy Spirit to lead you and guide you. Pray for yourself and ask for wisdom for next steps. Pray for your husband to repent and turn away from this sin. Pray for your marriage. Pray for lines of communication to open and honest between.
- Have a conversation. Talk with your husband about his pornography habit. Explain how it makes you feel, and ask him to stop.
- Get to the root of the problem. Why is he viewing porn in the first place? Address the root cause.
- Be willing to listen without becoming angry or judgmental. Keep the lines of communication open.
- Seek help from a Biblical counselor, marriage counselor or pastor that you trust to walk you through this struggle and provide biblical solutions to repair and strengthen your marriage.
- Show your husband mercy and grace, and exercise forgiveness when he repents.
- Set up accountability to rebuild trust. Utilize the amazing services through Covenant Eyes today. Search for a support group, other men at church, and by placing safeguards and internet restrictions in place. Covenant eyes has a program to help with this.
Marriage is God’s idea and sex is a beautiful gift He has given us within the context of marriage. My prayer for you and your husband today is that you would embrace it and you would know the full joys of a healthy marriage.
Wife Step: Print this post and place it somewhere as a reminder. We are here for you!
Misty Phillip is an author, blogger, and speaker. Misty believes a woman’s highest calling is to love God and make him known, by loving and serving her family and others with her God-given gifts and talents.
Misty is married to the love of her life and best friend, Peter Phillip, and together they have three amazing young men and are blessed with a precious daughter-in-law. Misty left her corporate career to homeschool her boys. As her boys have grown she began a new season of writing and speaking.
In 2011 Misty became involved in the pro-life movement speaking for Texas Right to Life soon after her son Liam was diagnosed with Trisomy 18. This life changing event launched Misty into the pro-life movement. Recently, she has joined Save the 1 as a National Pro-life speaker. Misty shares devotions on Christian Living, Faith, Home, Family and the books she loves at MistyPhillip.com– By His Grace – Seek Jesus, Study the Word, & Grow in Grace.